'Chase After You'— My Six Week Challenge To Become Spiritually And Physically Fit
About a month and a half ago, I decided that I am not drinking or dating for six months. This decision has stemmed from a curiosity to see how I will feel and how will it will be to eliminate aspects of my life and flight attendant lifestyle that are at times unnecessary and distracting. (I also have deemed it necessary to legitimately deal with some heartbreaks I have recently experienced. Rebounds are temporarily helpful, but what I'm truly desiring is longterm wholeness).
I’ve always been scared to do a fitness challenge— like one that has a time frame. This could be because I once challenged myself to the extreme and paid dearly for it. I am also scared of messing up, failing, and “not being good enough." Or worse; doing too good of a job and going to an extreme. I realize that is weird to say, but whenever a goal is fueled by misguided motives, the lesson learned is most often expensive for the soul and damaging to the body.
But, I do strive to reach a better level of fitness and do enjoy being active, so I’ve created—and am in the process of creating—an adventure for myself; a personal six week challenge to become more physically fit AND more spiritually fit.
Over the past weeks, I have refocused my attention and energy into studying who I am in God’s eyes and finding comfort for my emptiness. I find myself more fulfilled and content than I have ever been. I sense a need to pair this physical challenge with a spiritual challenge, as I want to keep my motives in a good place. So here it is— The 'Chase After You' Challenge.
I’ve been telling God recently, “I’ll chase you. I’ll chase you first before success, before the guy, before a new car, a home, flight attendant life, a book, tv show; all of it. I will chase you.”
So here are some details of my challenge. It’s actually quite terrifying to tell you about it, one because God is such a sensitive and personal subject and two, because I am just totally scared I won’t stay committed, it will be an intensely personal journey that I am letting you in on, and I have no idea what’s going to happen. Check out this video introduction about the challenge and subscribe to the RSS Feed/newsletter if you feel so inclined.
The Dirty Details of the 'Chase After You' Challenge
- I spend 15 minutes— every day— in meditation/prayer and 15 minutes in reading positive messages that will help me grow (the Bible, books, blogs, and uplifting conversation)
- Every day I do one active activity, whether that be weightlifting, running, walking, kiteboarding, etc.
- I bring everything that I do into subjection to Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5), asking for a clear spirit, right mind, and positive thoughts.
- I nourish my body with nutrients that promote health with at least one vegan protein shake a day. I will ask myself, “Does this food help me reach my lean and strong goal?”
- I choose sleep over exercise when necessary.
- I am kind to myself no matter what.
- I track my progress.
- I have fun with this.
- I learn in this.
- I can do this.
This is about progress and growth. I am beautiful amidst the becoming…always.